Monday 27 March 2006

Steppin' out

Good mornin’, good mornin’, good mornin' to you but with the first day of those new work laws it will be a while till sunbeams smile through. What a downer, a major downer of the galooting Lexie variety. All you can hope is that by this time next year, the population will be so aghast by it all, that the current govt will be toppled. Mmm, hasn’t happened over the past ten years, and with Splodge "fill me with inertia"Beazles at the Opposition's helm, is that possible?

In keeping with the insensitive and self centred tone of JWH Australia, I will now regale you with tales about me, my forte, for I’m fully cognisant that there’s a limit to how long I can keep your attention with my simplistic polli patter, which hasn’t really developed much over the past thirty years.

To the History Boys, by the lambiest, modestiust and cleverest of the Fringers, Alan Bennett, ooooh, controversial corner, set in Blighty during the 80's, not mentioning her name.

Yes, indeedy, caught the matinee session with the ladies. What a wonderful treat of an afternoon and evening. The play, its production, the performers, were all really terrific and you should see it if you can. Unfortunately, I think the season is sold out in Sydders, the production is going to Melbourne shortly where there might still be tickets available. My only disappointment was that Alan Bennett wasn’t about, I kept imagining him backstage and perhaps catching a glimpse of him peering through the curtains, but there were no curtains!, and then bowing with the actors at the end of the play.

The whole experience was truly wonderful. It’s the perfect excursion. It’s so beautiful down by the Sydney Theatre Company, Walsh Bay, such a wonderful building, as are all the others around there, and such joy walking around the harbour and under that enormous bridge and being able to touch its ludicrously enormous nuts and bolts at the pylon. That aspect of the bridge is so exciting, it’s like being in land of the giants, love the whole when "I was small and Christmas trees were tall" feeling, yet still remaining small as an adult! That bridge is the one true constant in my life.

Catching a matinee really is the most delightfully indulgent pleasure, going indoors and being entertained during the day, not doing usual Saturday chores, imbibing champers with all those seniors. The seniors are having the time of their lives. Quaffing, fagging, chattering away. Most uplifting.

I first fully appreciated the joy of the matinee when Amanda and Francesca very generously took me to see School for Scandal directed by Judy Davis at the Opera House, several years ago. That was a wonderful production. It was hilarious and so was the audience. It was there that we were introduced to the Pinkie set. As we strolled to the House, a gaggle of female seniors skittled past us, one of them calling out to a lagger, “Come on Pinkie, get your skates on”. And a powderball of coiffed hair, perfume and pearls blew past. Then while I was at the bar, getting pre-show snifters for me and the ladies, i stood beside another sharply dressed, vivacious Pinkie, and overhead her telling her companion, “I haven’t seen it since Larry and Viv. "

Larry and Viv, Old Vic tour, Orstralia, 1948. What more can you say. Um, Peter Finch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll match that Peter Finch and raise you a Cold Mountain.

David Nichols said...

I have been to that theatre twice, once to see an Edward Albee play with Pamela Rabe (in it), and the other time to see Strictly Ballroom before it was a film. Looking forward to a Melbourne Bennett